In my previous post I talked about how many of my clients are at a career crossroad: looking for a role that is more energising and fulfilling than what they’ve done to date. And they’re often interested in changing sectors.
But the stumbling block for them is usually:
“I know my strengths are transferrable, but how do I convince an employer in another sector to hire me over someone with sector experience?”
The first step to convincing them is to be able to talk about your strengths. Here’s an example of a client’s strengths statements.
Bridge building: I help people understand each other’s points of view and challenges and come up with mutually beneficial solutions.
Liaising: I like making the effort to communicate with clients, stakeholders to solve bottlenecks and increase satisfaction.
Initiating: I inspire action and am not afraid to tackle some problems head on; I am gentle but can be strong when doing so will benefit everyone.
Organising: I love to learn@ complex systems and processes and streamline them so that even an outsider can soon navigate them.
The second step, having identified your strengths, is to get noticed. How do you do this?
Firstly, identify then highlight your top 5 achievements. Ensure that for each you’re able to clearly describe the Context, your Actions and the Result. This will boost your credibility.
Then ask what the “So what?” value to a business is of each of your top 5 achievements. For example, if an achievement relates to excelling in planning and organisation, the “So what?” value is that you can be trusted to meet timelines and take a project through to completion.
The ability to clearly and succinctly talk about your strengths and achievements, and the value they offer to the organisation you want to work with, will make you stand out in a competitive job market.
Strengths guide free bundle
Discover your strengths and start to talk about yourself and your abilities confidently and with ease
- Your strengths guide, which includes the Strengthsfinder 2.0 link
- Your strengths webinar & worksheet, which is the equivalent of a 1-on-1 strengths coaching session.
Your Next Role Advantage
How to find your next role in the current job climate
This webinar is for you if:
- you’re a corporate worker who has been made redundant or is facing redundancy
- you want to learn how to find your next role in the current job market.
I will show you how you can:
- Uncover your unique strengths and the problems you can solve
- Be clear and confident and stand out from other candidates.
- Use a combination of traditional & alternative approaches to increase your chances of finding a role.
Tuesday, Oct 6th, @8pm AEDT
Your Next Dream Career Move
Discover your dream life best fit role
This webinar is for you if:
- you’re fed‑up and stressed in your current role
- you want to figure out what to do next
- you feel stuck and have either no idea or too many ideas.
I’ll help you to figure out your next dream career move
- Identify 1-3 realistic & inspiring ideas as to what to do next
- Figure out which idea is a best-fit
- Learn how to make the change safely in 3 steps.