What kind of people do you imagine when you think of government employees? Can you imagine working alongside such people?
In this interview government recruiter Jody Smith debunks numerous myths about working in government. It turns out that you don’t need experience in government to work in government. And you’ll be working alongside as diverse and dynamic a group of people as you’d find in the private sector.
Jody is a government recruiter with experience across a range of areas including justice and infrastructure. She shares some invaluable insights & tips for anyone considering applying for a role in government.
Here are a few key points & timing:
- 2:40 Myth#1: that you need to have worked in government
- 4:45 Stages of recruitment & tips re: how to get noticed
- 7:20 Don’t not apply for a role because you don’t have one of the requirements. Look at your transferrable skills and experience and how they are relevant.
A lot of people, even high achievers, get stuck with this element – message me if you want help with this.
- 7:55 What to do if you don’t have one of the stated requirements.
- 10:15 Don’t be afraid to ask questions: Who to ask and what to ask them.
- 11:09 What research to do before you apply.
- 11:40 Tips re: the application process.
- 13:06 Top 3 mistakes people make in their applications and what to do instead.
- 25:50 The impact of elections on government hiring?
So, if you’re interested in working in government, don’t worry about piercings, tattoos, whether your experience is too private sector or that you don’t have any public sector experience. Just start the process and be sure you're clear on your strengths – you have nothing to lose.
If you’d like to contact Jodie, she’d love to hear from you. You can do so here.
Strengths guide free bundle
Discover your strengths and start to talk about yourself and your abilities confidently and with ease
- Your strengths guide, which includes the Strengthsfinder 2.0 link
- Your strengths webinar & worksheet, which is the equivalent of a 1-on-1 strengths coaching session.
Your Next Role Advantage
How to find your next role in the current job climate
This webinar is for you if:
- you’re a corporate worker who has been made redundant or is facing redundancy
- you want to learn how to find your next role in the current job market.
I will show you how you can:
- Uncover your unique strengths and the problems you can solve
- Be clear and confident and stand out from other candidates.
- Use a combination of traditional & alternative approaches to increase your chances of finding a role.
(Kids back at school)
What's next for your career?
Get clear on what you want to do and how to get there
This webinar is for you if:
- the way you think and feel about work has changed
- you’re ready for a fresh approach to your career
- you feel stuck and have either no idea or too many ideas.
I’ll help you to figure out your next dream career move
- Identify 1-3 realistic & inspiring ideas as to what to do next
- Figure out which idea is a best-fit
- Learn how to make the change safely in 3 steps.