Have you taken time off from your career, perhaps to raise a family, only to struggle to return to work a few years later in a similar role? You’re not alone.
And if you think it’s hard, that’s not just you – it really is.
When seeking to re‑enter the workforce, there are systemic and organisational barriers that get in the way at every turn. Too many people experience being considered overqualified for entry roles and overlooked for roles that match their skills and experience. If only there was an organisation that could help!
Well, there is. Meet Andrea Collins, co‑founder of Zipwire.
Andrea works to break down the barriers ‘returners’ face when they try to re-enter the workforce after a break. And she knows what these barriers are from firsthand experience.
Book your free 15 min discovery session.
Find out what's possible for your dream life, best fit role.TM
In this interview, we discuss how returners represent an amazing opportunity for organisations. They bring a wealth of professional and life experience, and are highly motivated. In a tight talent market, including a returner framework into a talent acquisition strategy can be a key differentiator for a business.
She also provides her top 3 tips for returners seeking to re‑enter the workforce.
I recommend listening to the whole interview, but if you don’t have time here are so key topics you can jump straight to.
- 2.23 Zipwire’s mission
- 3.55 Andrea’s career path
- 5.30 The catalyst to start Zipwire: highly capable woman, taking a break from work to have kids and study, applying for jobs & not receiving any communication from recruiters, let alone interviews.
- 9.43 Conversations that gave rise to the idea for Zipwire
- 12.50 Andrea’s mini-experiment: connecting with high profile influencers on LinkedIN
- 14.36 “How can we mobilise more ‘returners’ back into the market?”
- 17.24 Top 3 tips for returners seeking to re‑enter the workforce
- 23.55 Opportunities for organisations to improve their approach to ‘returners’
- 25.04 How returners are seen as high risk
- 25.57 Benefit of a returner framework as part of a talent acquisition strategy
- 27.00 Why enabling & supporting returners to re‑enter the workforce is key to achieving greater gender balance in leadership roles
- 31.30 Andrea’s mini-experiment challenge for you.
Are you a 'returner'?
I'd love to hear about your experience, so please leave a comment below.
Your Next Role Advantage
How to find your next role in the current job climate
This webinar is for you if:
- you’re a corporate worker who has been made redundant or is facing redundancy
- you want to learn how to find your next role in the current job market.
I will show you how you can:
- Uncover your unique strengths and the problems you can solve
- Be clear and confident and stand out from other candidates.
- Use a combination of traditional & alternative approaches to increase your chances of finding a role.
Tuesday, August 11th, @8pm
Your Next Dream Career Move
Discover your dream life best fit role
This webinar is for you if:
- you’re fed‑up and stressed in your current role
- you want to figure out what to do next
- you feel stuck and have either no idea or too many ideas.
I’ll help you to figure out your next dream career move
- Identify 1-3 realistic & inspiring ideas as to what to do next
- Figure out which idea is a best-fit
- Learn how to make the change safely in 3 steps.
Tuesday, August 25th, @8pm
Discover your strengths with my free strengths bundle
- Your strengths guide, which includes the Strengthsfinder 2.0 link
- Your strengths webinar & worksheet, which is the equivalent of a 1-on-1 strengths coaching session.